Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bow ties, boy toys and car rides

We had a civil ceremony at Church a couple of weeks ago. Guess who was the MC? No, not really. He just would not walk out the our apartment without that American Idol microphone (courtesy of our friends). I think it looks cool with the velvet suit jacket, white shirt and the bow tie that Sister Lo (my friend's mom) made for him last year. It's the third one she's made for him. The bow tie is always a hit whenever he wears it. He does, however, have a preference for neckties since he wants to look like his daddy, as if he isn't the spitting image of him.

I always thought I would have a daughter so I could spend hours of fun dressing her and so she can play with my doll collection. I certainly had plenty of fun helping to raise my brother's two eldest daughters. Now that I have a beautiful little boy, I am faced with daunting task of researching appropriate boy toys.

For ideas, of course, there is always the internet and the trusted Toys R Us, but we all know how scary that place could be. He is outgrowing some of his toys and others are becoming a little boring to him, so a trip to that store was inevitable. I strapped him in his stroller and bravely made my way to the Lego/Duplo section. Then, hurried off to the Matchbox/Hot Wheels section for a few more cars to add to his little collection.
Having a memory of his trip to Sesame Place

I am happy to say that I could have made it in and out of that store in less than 15 minutes, including checking out, if it weren't for the "car" rides. You know which ones I am talking about; those ones that rip you off of your 50 cents for less than a minute of some kind of really slow movement. Without fail you always manage to bump into one on the street whenever you are really busy running errands. So far, I have been getting away with not putting any coins in them since all he wants to do is sit on them for a while. I shudder to think how much money will be wasted once he discovers how they really work. I am sure there will be tantrums to no end. I guess, we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Oh well, I'm glad I can still have fun dressing him up for Church, holidays, and special occasions, at least, until he lets me.

No comments: