Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Three

Time sure flies when you are having fun! It flies by way too fast when it comes to your wonderful children growing up. Liam turned all of three years old on January 17th. If I think about it long enough, I will start to cry. We can hardly believe it!

We had an intimate celebration with just this little family of three when we came home from Church. I baked a cake which, according to my husband, was tasty. The birthday boy even gave me a two thumbs up. Then again, he pretty much always does that when it comes to my cooking. (Thank you, my sweet baby boy!) Leave it up to me and the baking "phobia", to mess up a cake from a cake box. I only had to add a couple of extra ingredients to the packaged cake mix. How could I go wrong? Well, the cake turned out dense at the bottom, fluffy on the top middle part, and dry on the edges. I want to blame the oven temperature, but in the end I can only blame myself. I have a lot to learn about baking, even from a boxed cake mix (the size and temperature of the eggs, the exact temperature of the oven, etc.) I also discovered that I can't spell. (See picture below.)



It was a delight to see Liam's excitement at the realization that he was no longer "two and a half," but three years old now. (He repeatedly sang Happy Birthday.) So, we decided to celebrate again a few days later with his little friends from the Church playgroup. My birthday boy helped to prepare the gift bags and the carrot cake cupcakes. I am happy to report that the carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting did turn out okay. Thank goodness! We made plenty so that our friends could take an extra one home with them (in a small Chinese cardboard take-out container).

Thank you to Lindsay, Garrett, Caleb, Milena, Lani, Naomi, Michiru, Emily and Elizabeth for making his day so special.

No comments: