Monday, May 9, 2011

A bad Easter and Mother's Day

Both Easter and Mother's Day were bad, really really bad. But it was all my fault.

It all started about three weeks (maybe a month) ago when I started to feel symptomatic. Uh oh. I knew immediately I would have to get myself to a doctor and start a 3 or 7-day round of antibiotics. My husband's insurance changed and now we have a $2,400 deductible. Since I knew we didn't really have the money for a doctor's visit, I did the foolish thing and tried to play homeopathic "doctor" with lots of water, cranberry juice and apple cider vinegar (yuck!). Of course it didn't work and I began having extremely high fevers on and off during the course of three weeks, which included Easter Sunday.

Tuesday afternoon I called my doc and had him phone in a prescription for an antibiotic. I took two of those on Wednesday. Since I still had a high fever and had a lot of back pain, I did the unexpected. I actually asked my husband not go to work on Thursday so he could take me to the emergency room. This tough nut felt sick enough to just go straight there. After a few tests, it was determined that I had pyelonephritis, a really bad kidney infection, and that I did the right thing in going to the hospital. I spent four days/three nights at the hospital and was released late in the afternoon on Mother's Day. Yeah, Happy Mother's Day to me. A dear friend who watched Liam for me said that it was too bad I spent four days/three nights at "the hospital and not a couples getaway." I agree. If only...

Today, Liam woke up with a fever. He has been putting up with bad seasonal allergies for two weeks now. Since he's only four, I can't give him any over-the-counter allergy medication, at least not until he's six years old. Well, it must have gotten infected now. If the fever doesn't break and he doesn't show signs of improvement, it's off to the pediatrician tomorrow..... sick as the pair of us are.

One thing is for sure. I will never take my health for granted. Never mind the house, my weight goals, the kid begging for this that and the other, and the husband. I need to take better care of myself, not skip meals, drink lots of water, take my vitamins, rest and exercise. I know better than to just let myself go. I used to be kind of cute, you know! More importantly, a precious little life depends on me. He was well taken care of, but it broke my heart to be separated for so long.

Oh, and I can't wait for that hospital bill. Hope they have a payment plan.

Here are some cell phone pics:

The hospital ward's complementary package with toiletries
(socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo/body wash, lotion, comb and tissue box)
I also got a nice back massage before bedtime at 9pm.

 The view from my window. I couldn't get the pretty 3-tier, stone waterfall on the other side because of the glare.
(It was man-made by the hospital employees.)

 My boys visiting me and relaxing while watching some cable TV. (We sure miss it.)
Liam also played constantly with the hospital bed and declared that we MUST buy one for home.

 Liam holding the cookies that were brought over to me every evening before bedtime.
(I saved them for him, of course.) 
Notice his keen interest on the movie we were watching...

What movie? Wouldn't you know it... 
Star Wars Episode One
(the one with little Anakin, Liam's doppleganger)
He has only seen it fifty million times.


4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh, Martha! How awful! I hope you all are fully recovered soon!

Emily said...

I can't believe I'm reading this a week late! I hope you are feeling much much better. And Liam too! You deserve a Mother's Day Do Over.

GR82BAMOM said...

Feeling better! Thanks friends!

RJ said...

Oh Geez, and I'm reading this even LATER! I wish I could have brought you chicken soup amiga!