Friday, June 10, 2011

A few of his favorite things

These are just a few of his favorite things that we have managed to do before this week's high temperatures suddenly descended on us.

He has been such a little trooper helping me around the house, and willingly I might say, as he volunteers to help every chance he gets. I decided to surprise him with a little trip to Corona (in Queens, a short walk from Flushing Meadows Park) for the iconic lemon ices. Here he is also holding one of his favorite toys, a light saber. He lugs that thing just about everywhere. At night, takes along one of the lighted ones with the sound.

I just love how this pic turned out! I'm SO in love with his smile! Just don't call him "cute" or "adorable". He says that's for babies, instead, handsome big boy will do.

Several trips to the farm, at just a five minute drive, is an absolute must. We go just about every week, sometimes twice. Here he relaxes on a bale of hay, holding a stick in one hand and a couple of rocks on the other. He does the same in our backyard (except without the hay, of course). I am constantly picking up sticks and rocks all around the house and tossing them back into the yard.

There is an authentic-looking tee-pee set up right now at the farm, though I'm not sure long long it will be kept up, maybe just for the summer. Though I tried to explain that long ago Native Americans actually lived and slept in shelters like these, I don't think he actually grasped the idea. He is just amazed at the shape and sheer size of it. Note to self: I've got to take some books out of the library with pics.

Here he is with one of his buddies from Church, also four years old. People kept asking me if they were twins even though they don't look alike at all. Their lean body structure and high energy levels are the only things that could pass as identical. On this day, I realized how difficult it would be to have twins. 'Nuff said.

Bill has half days on Fridays for the summer, beginning with the Friday before Memorial Day, up until the Friday before Labor Day. We met up with Bill in Manhattan and went to eat at his favorite vegetarian eatery. It's an unpretentious little place on Sixth Avenue off 14th Street in Chelsea, just a few store fronts from the Drummers Collective where my husband practiced and worked when he first returned to the U.S. (from having lived most of his life in Sydney, Australia). According to him the "decor" hasn't changed at all. You wouldn't really know that you can feast on delicious vegetarian dishes from just looking at the signage or the storefront. You walk right up to the counter where you order from a menu that is taped onto the counter. This is what we always order when we are in the neighborhood: the dumpling medley complete with brown rice, tofu and steamed veggies with Tahini and soy sauces on the side. It's not exactly Liam's favorite, but it's ours and it's really inexpensive, too. Delish!

What better way to soak in the sights and sounds of Manhattan than on daddy's shoulders?! 
 
And of course, summer isn't summer without an ice cream cone from a Mister Softee truck and a pic of him devouring it. This time it's a cherry-dipped, chocolate-and-vanilla-swirl cone! Yum!

Ever heard of the Ramones? Here is Liam looking at one of their actual autographed drum sets at a store front on 14th Street. (Sigh!) My sweet, little drummer boy, perhaps dreaming of following his daddy's dreams. Ahem! Well, he also says he wants to be an astronaut, a paleontologist, a Mr. Softee truck driver and a race car driver, so we'll see.

I think Liam has finally grown accustomed to me pulling the camera out constantly and taking pics of him, so now he actually volunteers sometimes to have his picture taken. Here he is on the Church's front lawn in the same suit he wears, Sunday after Sunday. He has great clothes, but he insists on wearing the navy pin-stripped pants with matching vest and a pin-stripped short sleeve shirt that obviously doesn't match the suit.

The following Sunday I made pretend I couldn't find that short-sleeved shirt, so to his horror he had to wear a plain white long-sleeved shirt. He is also sporting a sun visor he decorated at the end of his last class.

My little karate kid is still going strong!

He got a third stripe on his belt! Hooray!
(His dedicated instructor is doing really well, too! Congrats, "Joshu"!)

Finally, here he is with another little buddy, a Filipino friend, running around the cultural hall at the Church building. He tags along with me to my Valiant Girls Activity night twice a month. He's my little side-kick and best friend!

So, that's pretty much it. Last month's health drama is now behind me, I am regaining my strength and working on reversing the anemia. I now pace myself, stay hydrated, and try not to sweat the small stuff.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

It looks like you're having fun! Also, what is it about little boys and their affinity for rocks and sticks? Both of mine collect them, and every trip outside results in a finding many more. :)