Monday, September 15, 2008

GR82BAMOM

So, here goes. It has taken me a while to actually get this blog up and running. Why? Life happens. And it is a lot more involved and interesting than spending every ounce of spare time sitting in front of a computer. Why bother, then, with a blog at all? Well, I do need to start putting some thoughts down and there is no better time than the present. Actually, Liam is down for a nap, so here is my big chance. :)

Why "GR82BAMOM"? It's not my license plate number. It probably should. I think it is great to be a mom, hence, the name for this blog. So, let’s take this from the top, shall we? It all started when…

Like any little girl playing with her dolly, I always dreamed I would be a mommy someday, only I thought it would be a lot sooner! Better late than never, right? Well, I believe that all things happen in the Lord’s due time, including my becoming a wife to the love of my life and a mother to an awesome son.

An Aussie and a Queens girl
After years of fun in the city as a single woman, at long last, I met the love of my life. William John M, a.k.a. Bill, and I were both born in New York City. We found out just before we got married that we both lived in the very same neighborhood when we were infants. Just before we were to start school (probably the very same school building), Bill’s father accepted a lucrative position in Sydney, Australia, so the whole family relocated. After reaching adulthood, Bill got the itch to move back to New York City to further his education. We ended up meeting at an LDS singles’ cruise around lower Manhattan. We were briefly introduced by a mutual acquaintance just as the cruise was coming to an end, but did not exchange phone numbers or e-mail addresses. Some weeks later, after much pleading and supplication from our married friends, we both found ourselves in the awkward position of accepting to join LDS Singles.com. He dropped me a hello, I recognized him from the cruise, and we quickly began corresponding. We had our first date on September 1, 2004 at Serendipity’s in Manhattan, and the rest, as they say, is history. Less than one year of meeting, Bill proposed at Serendipity over their signature frozen hot chocolate on June 22, 2005 at the same table we were seated on our first date.



We were sealed for time and eternity on September 17, 2005 at the Manhattan temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and our beautiful wedding reception was held the same day at the landmark building of the Woodside LDS chapel in Queens. We honeymooned in the Hamptons in Long Island. Then, this lifelong Queens girl started her new life with the love of her life in Brooklyn. We got pregnant toward the end of April 2006 and had our baby boy named William John M., Jr. (a.k.a. Liam) on January 17, 2007.

3 comments:

Davey said...

That was so fun to read, I didn't know all that about you two. What a little gift blogging is :)

Davey said...

okay that last one was RACHEL, not Davey. In case you couldn't guess :)

GR82BAMOM said...

Hi, Rachel. I kinda fingured it was you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I need to work on it some more. Thanks for taking the time to read my little blog.